Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Spaghetti Carbonara

I found this recipe in Cook's Illustrated, I was intrigued because the article was about cutting back the fat that traditionally goes into Carbonara (like in this Jamie Oliver Recipe).  I thought it was good, but not as good as the traditional.  It's a completely different animal.  Although that being said I appreciate having a lower fat version of the dish to turn to, I have made and enjoyed it several times since, more times than I would ever dare to eat the regular stuff!

My only bone of contention with this recipe is that they have you cook the bacon in water so that it turns out more like guanciale.  I have never tried real guanciale but I didn't like how the regular bacon cooked in water turned out at all.  I have made it with bacon cooked the regular way ever since, I just chop it up and add it in at the end.

The sauce is made primarily of raw egg and needs to "cook" by being tossed with the hot pasta, so once the pasta is drained you will need to work quickly.  I threw the spaghetti back into the still warm cooking pot with the egg mixture sauce instead of in a separate bowl at the end for some extra warmth.  Be sure to toss quickly or you will end up with scrambled eggs.

Also a note about the pasta water, you are supposed to use only 2 quarts of water to cook the whole pound of pasta, this creates an extra starchy pasta water that is later used to help stabilize the sauce since it doesn't have as much fat as normal.

I also added about a cup of frozen peas at the end.  What's Carbonara without peas?

Better, Lighter Spaghetti Carbonara
from Cook's Illustrated #121

8 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup water
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 ounces of Pecorino Romano, grated (1 1/4 cups)
3 large eggs plus 1 large yolk
1 tsp pepper
1 pound spaghetti
1 tsp salt
(I also added a cup of frozen Peas)

Bring bacon and water to simmer in a 10 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Cook until water evaporates and bacon begins to sizzle, about 8 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook until fat renders and bacon browns, 5 to 8 minutes longer.  Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Strain bacon mixture though a fine mesh strainer set in a bowl (I just used a slotted spoon).  Measure out 1 Tablespoon of fat in medium bowl and whisk in Pecorino, eggs, yolk, and pepper into the fat until combined.

Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts of water to boil in Dutch oven.  Add spaghetti and salt to pot, cook to al dente.  Drain spaghetti in colander set in bowl, reserving cooking liquid (I didn't do this either, you just need to save 1 cup of the pasta water so I just scooped out a cup before I drained it over the sink).  Measure out 1 cup of cooking liquid and return spaghetti to the now empty bowl (I just used the cooking pot)

Slowly whisk 1/2 c of reserved pasta water into Pecorino mixture.  Gradually pour Pecorino mixture over pasta, tossing to coat.  Add bacon mixture and toss to combine.  Let the spaghetti rest, tossing frequently, until the sauce has thickened slightly and coats the pasta, 2-4 minutes.  Adjust the consistency with remaining cooking liquid if needed.  serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment