Thursday, July 11, 2013

Meatloaf

Mark here...I got this recipe from Nigella Lawson and honestly it's the best meatloaf I've ever made/had.  Key to it I think is using good ground meat and duck fat.  I've tried other recipes involving different meats and none compared to this.

Ingredients:

2lbs ground beef ( I believe we used sirloin from our neighborhood butcher, McCall's)
duck fat (the original recipe calls for 5 tablespoons, I was quite liberal and eyeballed it)
4 eggs
4 onions
bacon
kosher salt
breadcrumbs (I used store bought)
Worcestershire sauce

Preheat the oven to 400F.  Boil 3 eggs in water for 7 minutes.  Peel and chop the onions and heat the duck fat in a large pan.  Once heated add the onions and lightly brown, then remove from heat and let cool.

Separately add a tablespoon of worcestershire to the meat.  Add the (cooled) onion mixture to the meat and add about a cup and a half of breadcrumbs (I eyeballed this as well as I was using store bought and did not want my meatloaf to get too dense).  Finally, crack the last egg into this.  Gently mix with hands, trying not to let the mixture get too dense.

Separate the meat in 2, and mold one part into the bottom of the meatloaf on a sheet pan or roasting tray.  Peel the boiled eggs and nestle them in a row (on their sides) on the bottom meat portion.  Then gently apply the top portion of meat over the eggs and mold the entire thing into a meatloaf.  Be careful not to break the eggs as they may still have soft centers.

Wrap the whole meatloaf in bacon, trying to tuck the bacon so it won't curl up.  Put it in the oven for an hour or until juices are clear, then slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment