Saturday, May 31, 2014

Necessity is a Mother

Mark here... This episode was a bit of a slog too.  It's called "Necessity is a Mother" and the mother is Dylan's who breezes back into town.  The show tries to have it both ways, telling us she means well but she's also been a terrible mother.

Dylan is going crazy living with his mom again.  Now that his Dad is in jail, his mom is back in his life, after abandoning him at age 6.  His mom, Iris, is a bit of a hippie/new age lady.  At first we see her bonding with Cindy, but her presence in Dylan's life is driving him to drink...literally.  So Dylan is falling off the wagon and Brenda, being the supportive girlfriend, turns the bitchy up to 10. It's insane!  Every line is delivered with the bitchiest tone!!  I never understood the whole "I Hate Brenda" phenomenon before but watching episodes back to back, believe me, I get it! Although as Laurel said, Andrea is way worse and she never earned a hate club.

Anyway, by the end Dylan's mom decides to go back to Hawaii...what?!?  We're supposed to think she is making this decision with the best intentions Because she was originally paid off by Dylan's father but she never touched the money and now is leaving Dylan with a trust fund.  Great, you just found out your son has a drinking problem and you're leaving him a ton of cash...bravo!!  Of course, we also see Dylan going to AA, but come on!!  As she's leaving, Iris even says to the Walshes, "Take good care of my son"  WHAT?!?

Hey Laurel here...Not much to add except I can really relate to Dylan on this one.  I also have a hippie mom who is, well, a little out of touch with reality.  If she moved in with me I would spend all of my time down at the seedy pool hall too!  Oh, we forgot to tell you about that part, Dylan spends all his time this episode at some seedy pool hall (must be south of Sunset) where he drinks and gambles on pool all day.  In the end he loses a bunch of money and gets beat up.  Wah wah.

Anyway, I sometimes wish my mom would pack up her crystals and move to Hawaii but at the end of the day I'm guess I'm glad she doesn't.  I think Dylan probably would feel the same if his mom would stick around.  Hey Iris, how about if you stay in LA but just get your own place to read tarot cards in?

Style award this episode goes to...Iris!  For her flowy jumpsuit/white boots ensemble.  Way to go Iris!



Cocktail moment is anytime somebody mentions something new-agey.  That Iris is such a kook!  She even takes Cindy to a "Mind Gym" where they sit in massage chairs, wear some kind of sensory lsd trip sunglasses, and drink garlic smoothies.  Oh, and Iris thinks Brenda has a "negative aura".  Really Iris?  We had no idea!?  You are so intuitive.






No comments:

Post a Comment