Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Breakfast/brunch pizza

Mark here...I was inspired to try this recipe after reading this blog post:


I'm generally not a fan of anything that looks remotely like baking, but this seemed pretty easy...although I still managed to get flour everywhere in my kitchen...

I used the dough recipe from http://chefchuckscucina.blogspot.com 

Ingredients

Dough:

4 1/2 cups of flour
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon of yeast
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of kosher salt

Topping:
Fresh Mozzarella
2 eggs
2 heirloom tomatoes
prosciutto
fresh baby arugula

I made the dough and put it in the fridge overnight.  Begin by adding the yeast to the water and let it dissolve about 15-20 minutes.  Then add the sugar, olive oil and vinegar to it. Mix the flour and salt in a food processor and then slowly add the water mixture to this.  Eventually a ball will form.  Tip the ball onto a floured board and knead until it gets less sticky.  Add more flour if necessary.  Oil a bowl and put the ball into it, cover with a towel and let it rest/expand.  It needs 2 hours, but mine was in the fridge overnight.



When ready, preheat the oven to 500F and lay out the flour into the shape you want your pizza.  You will need a bit more flour and then transfer to a cookie sheet or pizza stone.  One mistake I made was letting the pizza get too thick.  There's a reason they do all that flipping and tossing in a pizzeria!  I plan on trying pizza again to get it right but basically the center should be thin.

After laying it out I sliced and layed out mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes and then prosciutto bits.  I originally put some baby arugula but this is best added when the pizza comes out of the oven so it can slightly wilt.  Put the pizza in the oven for about 5-7 minutes.  In the meantime crack the eggs into separate bowls.  Remove the pizza and add the eggs on top.  Cook another 5-7 minutes or until the eggs are done.  I like mine white but the yolks runny.  Remove the pizza and sprinkle with arugula and serve...


1 comment: