Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Potato Latke Breakfast

Mark here...this recipe started out as Jamie Oliver's Potato Latke Breakfast, but I made several changes...also my latkes could use some work as I'll explain below.



Ingredients (Latkes)

2 large potatoes
1 onion
2 eggs
salt
pepper
flour
vegetable oil

So I actually used 3 eggs as I had doubled the original recipe and this turned out a mistake ultimately.

Anyway, peel and then shred the potatoes in a food processor (shredding disc).  Then change blades and peel and insert the onion.  I used a blade to get half rings.  Salt and let the onions release liquid.  This is where recipes can differ as some suggest soaking the potatoes in water to remove the starch. Either way, the hardest part is removing the water.  You can wring them out in a towel as I did, but there always seems to be too much liquid!  Personally, I still need some practice with this part, as the best latkes come from the driest potatoes.
In any case, mix the potatoes and onions with some salt and pepper, and about 3 tablespoons flour, and 2 eggs.  Heat about 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large frying pan and begin molding latkes, not too big.  Place them in the pan and cook each side until golden. Set aside on a cookie sheat and put in a 200 degree oven to stay warm.

Ingredients (The rest)

Arugula
Breakfast sausages
2 eggs
white wine vinegar
salt

For the rest, I found breakfast sausages (they are smaller) and broiled them about 5 minutes a side.  I soft poached the eggs in salted water (with about 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar) for 2:30 minutes.

Assembly

Start with a latke on a plate, top with arugula, then 2 sausages and finally the egg (we made enough for 2).

No comments:

Post a Comment